Watch the video of Beth Barnes’s talk at TEDxExeter 2015.
Scroll down the page for biographical information and news.
Video and Live blogging
Now we hear from Beth, who is a student at Exeter College. We wanted to hear what young people have to say and what they want, and Beth won a competition to speak today.
Beth is telling us about a system that allows us to direct our resources to what we think will do the most good: charitable giving. Increased transparency of governance mean it is possible to find charities who are doing great work, such as the Schistosomiasis (spelling?!) Society.
We are used to a world in which the most resources are invested in things that are not important. What if we directed our huge resources to solving global poverty? 10% given by 10% would generate $4 trillion. It would only take 5% of that to solve poverty, so Beth has given us a shopping list for the remaining 95%, with some left over to fund a mission to Mars!
Effective Altruism encourages and helps people to give well – via e.g. GiveWell, Giving What We Can websites. The latter asks people to give away 10% of their lifetime earnings. Wouldn’t it be good if everyone did this?!
Beth is a student in her last year at Exeter College. She became involved in the Effective Altruism movement last year, and took the Giving What We Can pledge. This year she started Exeter Effective Altruism Society. Next year she hopes to go on to study Biological Natural Sciences at Cambridge, and is currently considering pathways to making a difference and careers such as research into biosecurity, working to combat neglected tropical diseases, or biological software engineering.
News about Beth Barnes
We’ve had a number of articles in Exeter Living and the Express and Echo this spring, about some of our speakers in the run up to TEDxExeter 2015 and reporting on the event. You can download the pdfs here:
- It’s All Talk, Exeter Living, Issue 174, Spring 2015, pp.42-44
- Gallery: TEDxExeter conference inspires people around the world, Express and Echo, 26 April 2015
- TEDxExeter speaker Jenny Sealey challenges perceptions of disability (at Stephens Scown dinner), Express and Echo, 23 April 2015
- Sold out TEDxExeter to stream live (featuring Matthew Owen), Express and Echo, 18 April 2015
- Beth to give her all at TEDxExeter talk, Express and Echo, 7 April 2015
- TEDxExeter to examine why 500,000 children go to school too hungry to learn, Express and Echo, 3 April 2015